Thursday, March 8, 2018

Maybelline Vivid Mattes Review






Hello I'm back Internet Humans

Today I'm reviewing the Maybelline Vivid Mattes Liquid Lipstick with high expectations (bc they're maybelline ofc)

So first off here's a storytime that no one asked for:
It was two days after christmas and I was at the sale rack for those Travel Sized Stocking Stuffers and I found: you guessed it ladies and gents: the entire Maybelline Vivid Mattes Collection but in mini sized...then i bought it.. I discovered this when I was watching a Bubzbeauty Vlog and she was using Nude Thrill as an everyday color. I then saw it again in Vivian Vo's makeup videos which made me curious about the formula and pigmentation. 

So this is what she looks like 
Shes beautiful

And I'm going to separate them and review them in categories bc aint nobody be reviewing them all at the same time

An overall review first:
- The first thing I noticed when I applied it (it has a dough foot applicator like a 90's lip gloss) was the smell and at first I didn't mind it bc I thought it would go away bUT N O P E the scent lingered the whole time I wore it and it has a nauseating medicinal scent

- it also has a numbing sensation (not like the lip plumpers that sting but more like the numbing cream that they put on your gum at the dentist and it DOES NOT go away until you wipe it off)

- but on the bright side they have an arrange of colors that will suit a wide range of nude skin tones along with vibrant colors that is perfect for expressing personalities

- these are also perfect for subtle pops of color on a makeup look because its slightly sheer and tbh its more of a lipstain than a liquid lipstick because it doesnt dry down to a dry matte texture 

First category is the nudes 
From top to bottom: Nude Thrill, Nude Flush, Twisted Tulip, Grey Envy, Coffee Buzz

These photos are on flash to show their true colors (and obv this isn't an Instagram swatch party or i would have my invite revoked)
So according to my swatch, there are colors that are more wet (?) which makes it easier to glide on the lips (ex. Nude Thrill, Nude Flush) and there are some patchy, dry ones that are more thick to texture (ex. Coffee Buzz) so that's something to keep in mind when purchasing these lipsticks

Coffee buzz is definately my cup of tea and is my most used color and nude thrill is the perfect MLBB bc of the rosy tones i love it



Next Category is the Vibrant (or as the Internet calls it: the unicorn colors)


From top to bottom: Electric Pink, Pink Charge, Orchid Shock, Vivid Violet, Orange Obsession

Electric Pink is the most perfect consistency and is the perfect formula for a liquid lipstick, its super pigmented and is super juicy
Pink charge is a bit more patchy than the other ones, the color payoff is a bit weak compared to Electric Pink so I wouldn't recommend it
Orchid shock is a gorgeous color and the payoff compared to Electric Pink is not the best but it's not patchy and is definitely second place in this category
Vivid violet is a bit sheer and patchy when applied on the lips but the color is gorgeous
last and definitely least is orange obsession which is one of the colors that disappointed be the most, the color payoff is just not there and its very dry so it doesn't glide onto the lips and with for some reason it doesn't pick up any product so I had to dunk the product in and out like ladies did to their mascara in the 90's but stopped bc studies showed that bacteria spreads faster when that happens

The next category is Reds and Berry Colors 


From Top to bottom: Rebel Red, Orange Shot, Berry Boost,
Red Punch, Smoky Rose
These are the set that stained the most (which i'm not mad about, it makes the color last longer which is perfect for long days or if you have night classes)
The darker colors are more patchy and dry than the rest but the first two are quite sheer because I swatched it 4x on my wrist for it to become that pigmented
The best one is definitely Berry Boost, although you still need to build up pigmentation

The final category is the the miscellaneous colors that didn't fit in my arm in the earlier swatches
Top to Bottom: Wicked Berry, Possessed Plum, Corrupt Cranberry, Sinful Stone
First off look at Possessed Plum like thats extremely patchy and lacking pigment.
The only one with the decent pigmentation and has smooth application is Wicked Berry while the others are slightly patchier although Corrupt Cranberry is less patchy than the others. Sinful stone is definately lacking pigmentation and like Corrupt Cranberry, less patchy 



Overall, I would rate these lipsticks a 5/10. The colors are hit or miss, the pigment is just not there for most of the colors and they're extremely patchy. These don't dry down all the way so they don't last a long time but dark colors stain the lips so it as s o m e longevity to them. The scent, again, is one of the biggest reasons why I rated it that low and the numbing sensation isn't particularly pleasant either. I would definitely recommend Colourop Lipsticks for those looking for a wider range of colors that are pigmented, non-patchy and are cruelty free.
I mostly use these for taking photos because  I can take them off after a short time but for going out I'd prefer colourpop